6/26/10

Jacob the Liar

omg I found a watch instantly Robin Williams film I haven't seen. It's next in the marathon. "Jacob the Liar." Has Alan Arkin in it too.

Williams was exec producer on this one. Like nearly every film he's starred in, the thesis is implausibly and powerfully healing. Suspend belief and believe.

Believe what? "That nothing in this world moves," as Mary Oliver writes, "but as a positive power." Whether he's a doctor, a teacher, a father, a robot or a Jewish cook trapped in a Nazi ghetto, he's a positive power. (Okay, he was a psychopathicly lonely film developer once, but even then all he did that time was peep on a happy family - could have been worse).

The film froze half way through...buffering now. It's slow, admittedly. Once the premise is set up it's all stilted dialogue and same-old WWII ghetto sets. No one looks hungry or cold really and the orphaned girl RW helps out is way too jovial. "When the war's over I'll be your waitress. You don't have to feed me I'll just eat as many pancakes as I like."

It's fairytale holocaust. It's a happy story of how one reluctant schmo brings hope to the hopeless.

Us.

Enough. If you like RW, watch it. I'll come back and rate it when it's over.

Not bad. *** 1/3 corny; 2/3 moving