12/17/16

I'm back wish you were maybe you are - spoiler alert

Jamarr I was thinking of you while I was watching The OA. On Netflix. yes I binged it in a night and an afternoon, with a couple of ice cream sundaes and some attempts at other meals. I keep feeling, with you as with my brother who died at 16, that you're around. In and out. Not far. And this show was about Near Death Experiences, connections between dimensions, caged people escaping through the mind through mystical leaps.

Are you more mystical now, where you are? Are you free of addictions?

Why do I think you'd like this? Well, I'm not sure of that. I'm sure you'd appreciate it. The OA. Eight amazing episodes. Maybe just one, the 7th, a bit slack with climax-prep exposition those of us who were binging didn't need. A little weak too was the dream premonitions thread, or maybe it was just me watching the middle patch in the mid-AM after a long day at work. Maybe that was developed more. The lead, a beautiful Brit Marling (also a producer), has three dreams that foretell three disasters. With the third she successfully prevents the disaster. But what's amazing and riveting are the scenes of the five people held prisoner in a mad scientist's basement. (And no I still haven't watched past the first few minutes of The Human Centipede).

Brit Marling as the OA
For most of the series, we believe the survivor's story of the amazing things that happened among the five. At the end, it seems possible, even likely, her story is a fantasy overlaying something more sordid and banal. But like the five people she tells the story to, we want to believe. And we're changed by wanting to believe.

We're among angels, the spirit of the show seems to say. We live beside a miraculous river we can jump into any time. I jumped in. I binged. I'd love to light up with you and talk about it. But you're stupidly dead. Drove head on flooring it into a bus. WTF Jamarr. What were you thinking were you thinking at all. Outta yr mind on that shit. Where are you now? Where are any of us? We live in our prisons. We escape through our minds, if we can, with help or on our own. If we feel like lab rats maybe we are lab rats. Lab rats and mad scientists too.

Well, being as I can't seem to stop watching and binge watching I'll keep writing to you here. As if you could read our blog. As if we could share again this little rectangle of common ground. We can add to our clever description: one alive one dead. Both (I believe this) still in love with movies.

Peace out big guy. I'll be back.

The OA - I'm giving this one 5 stars, EXcellent. And I'm going to guess TAZ would give it just 4, Dope. Because limited CGI and gore effects. But great acting and ideas.