11/7/11

Attack the Block, inner city vs outer space

This intense, close-quarters ensemble movie is just the kind of character-based, tightly scripted sci-fi I love. I know TAZ under-rates character development but if he watches this he'll see what I'm talking about. People change. Yeah they run and scream and get eaten by creatures--these ones with oddly glow-in-the-dark incisors--and the tension IS more important than emotion, but the two together make for entertainment and thought. Plus there's a lovely little expository lump of biology near the end, from a goofball pothead rich kid sidekick who justifies his existence, to the tough gang and in the movie all at once. yes saving the day Jeff Goldbloom style. Via pheromes again...a real sci-fi motif. But I think it works better here than I've ever seen it work. And the two pre-ten sidekicks who come through big time is top notch. An awesome movie all around. I think my first 5 star flick. Excellent. The script gets an excellent-plus. And the white guy with the heavy heavy south London accent in the gang is great.