6/26/10

Raging Bull

I been going through a major movie fiending period. Blocked in my writing. Not good but I thought anyway I'd ad a few posts here.

So this afternoon it was Scorses's "Raging Bull." De Niro does dumb and crazy so well but you know I think this may be overrated. The fight scenes are powerful, skillfully cut - a dance. But Lamatta is unappealing; you get tired of watching him fume paranoia at his wife and brother. I guess for those who were around in the 30's and 40's and followed the guy's career it's a nostalgia trip. I'm not that old.

The one highlight was when his wife finally leaves him. Good thing she told him through a mostly rolled up car window. And De Niro's face - a truly beautiful man and a great actor. Unfortunately his nose what made-up to be swollen but still the wise-guy smile, the intelligent eyes, and cutely curly hair that isn't, I assume, natural. I never bought his slight build as a boxer's; but the fierce focus and pitbull personality sold me.

I guess classics get rated on an inflated scale, so I give those one four stars. To get five out of me it's got to be all this one is plus deep or mystical or, you know, about time travel.